Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills (IOLS) – Spring 2023
May 6 @ 8:00 am - May 7 @ 12:00 pm
This training course is an important and enjoyable part of the basic Scouting preparations pertinent to being a Scoutmaster, Assistant Scoutmaster, Venturing Crew leader, or parent volunteer. Working as patrols, this hands-on course provides you with the practical skills you’ll need to lead Scouts in the great outdoors. Upon completion, adult leaders will feel comfortable teaching Scouts the skills required to obtain up to First Class rank.
In addition to Scoutmaster Position Specific Training, IOLS is required of all direct contact leaders registered in a Scouts BSA Troop to be considered “fully trained.” IOLS covers the skills expected of a new Scout or Venturer, following closely with the Scouts BSA Handbook and Venturing Outdoor Expectations. You will gain confidence in your ability through hands-on, practical applications of methods proven to influence the growth of youth within the BSA.
Things to Note:
- Registration limited to 18 spots – Piedmont Council members receive first priority.
- Out of council registrations will be put on the waitlist; if space, they’ll be added on a first-come first-serve basis.
- Plan to sleep with the IOLS troop and not your unit taking part in the Camporee.
- No walk-ins accepted.
- Food: Saturday lunch, snacks, and dinner, plus Sunday breakfast provided.
- Eat breakfast before arrival on Saturday.
- Location: Homestead Valley, Briones Regional Park (1 mile hike-in to campground).
Registration closes end of day Friday, April 28th.
Questions? Contact District Executive Eris Turner: [email protected]